Room of the Doge Antonio, Vestibule and Chapel

In a decorative style quite alien to venetian culture a sumptuous display of rare marbles set in stucco frames adorns these rooms which belong to the final phase of the construction of the palace concluded by 1568. The Chapel was used by the patriarch Giovanni Grimani for private celebrations of the Mass. The splendid marble altar, missing now, is still recorded in the nineteenth century inventories. On the ceiling of the Vestibule are small frescoes framed with stuccoes. On one side a small window overlooks the spiral staircase of probable Palladian inspiration and the other a monumental marble portal leads to the room devoted to the Doge Antonio.

In the room devoted to the Doge Antonio Grimani, located between the east and the south wings of the palace, the space was dominated by two walls, facing each other, treated with the same decorative motif. The chimneypiece wall was adorned with marble vases and portrait busts, including two modern reproductions of Vitellius and Caracalla. It was devoted to the figure of Doge Grimani (as an inscription, still visible, placed at the top of the wall, indicates) and was apparently the privileged place for honouring him. The wall across from it displayed various antiques: two sleeping Eros, a group of Greek statuettes of female figures and also two landscape relieves with a sheep and lioness suckling their offspring, purchased on the Roman antique market. These works surrounded and surmounted a group with Dionysus and Satyr.

<<Prev. | Next>>